March 25, 2010

Betrayal is Inevitable in Every Realtionship

Maybe I should just number the blogs instead of sitting here and thinking of really cool names for each of them. Hmmm.

So I took this part time job with a friend of mine, (First mistake. Don't work with friends), a little over a month ago. She was actually a former client of mine and was nice enough to offer me some part time with the option for full time in the near future. Very exciting since it's in the same industry as I had been in. I really admired her company and thought I could learn a lot from her. I thought everything was going pretty great. I was getting comfortable with the position, taking initiative and making my own projects to which I thought was a benefit. WRONG! I received an email from her the other day, yes a friggin EMAIL, explaining that I was taking too much initiative and "not making efficient use of company time" and maybe I wasn't the right fit for the company.

Now, I understand that familiarizing yourself with a new company can take some time. And I also understand there will likely be a few hiccups here and there in the first few months of the learning curve. What I don't understand is that as a professional, you expect professionalism to be returned back to you. I have also never heard any employer complain that their employee is taking too much initiative. I do not expect you to write me an email of that caliber and then when I return your email and leave 2 messages to discuss your concerns like your previous email asked me to do, you don't respond back. As a friend and co-worker, I would think the respect of a conversation would be expected. It has been some time now. This is where you realize that no response IS your response and move on.

I leave you with this Ms. Anonymous Employer That Has ROYALLY Ticked Me Off! There are a few simple rules to being a decent human being:

Rule Number One: You do not break up with someone via text or email.
Rule Number Two: You do not terminate employment via text or email.

If you break either of the above rules ... read very carefully of what I am about to write: YOU ARE A COWARD. Do not hide behined a electronic device. Get some balls and tell me to my face.