April 4, 2010

"I plan on being great all by myself."

So I went to Easter Sunday at my parents friends house today. Beautiful weather, great food and prefect company. One thing ...

My mother has a friend who asks me EVERY time she sees me, "Where is your boyfriend? Why aren't you married?"

REALLY?

Why is it in most peoples minds, that if you are single, and even worse ... single in your thirties, (GASP!) that there might just be something wrong with you? Maybe, I'm a different breed of girl but I quite enjoy the single life. I never grew up with the dreams of the perfect wedding/husband/child, etc. I'm okay with it. I went on trying to explain to this woman that having a boyfriend/husband was not something that I needed to complete me in which she responded with a confused and semi-horrified stare. Okay ... pass the cheese and crackers, please.

An ex once told me when I was ending the relationship, that "we would have been great together" and my response to that was, "I plan on being great all by myself."

Single people shouldn't be looked at like they have some kind of disease. They shouldn't have to be set up with people if they don't want to be because you feel bad for them or you feel like they can't find someone on their own. How about you change your complete train of thought and think, hey ... that's a strong, beautiful person that is confident and comfortable with his/herself that they don't need to be defined as a couple.

To be honest the whole thing kind of frightens me a tad. Not that I'm against marriage or love, because I love, love. It's beautiful and crazy and uncontrollable but marriage and children were never a necessity for me to be happy. My friend Mike said something great this weekend, "The relationship is always great until the actual relationship gets in the way." Absolutely 100% true.

There are way too many other things in life that I need to worry about right now than who has taken the next number in line.