You see, I loved hard once – but the love wasn’t returned. I found out the man I’d die for – he wasn’t even concerned. And time had turned, he tried to burn me like a perm. Though my eyes saw the deception, my heart wouldn’t let me learn.
Like some dumb woman was I – and every time he’d lie, he would cry and inside I’d die. My heart must have died a thousand deaths. Like a fish out of water, I thought I’d never catch my breath.
With nothing left – he stole the heart beating from my chest. I tried to call the cops, that type of thief they can’t arrest. Pain suppressed could lead to cardiac arrest – diamonds deserve diamonds but he convinced me I was worth less.
Though my friends would protest – I told them mind their business because our shit was complex – more than just the sex. I was blessed but couldn’t feel it like when I was caressed; I’d spent nights clutching my chest overwhelmed by God’s test. I was God’s best contemplating death with a Gillette.
But no man is ever worth that paradise manifest.