March 15, 2012

I had a huge post planned for today. I was going to talk about forgiveness and how it is sometimes so hard to give away - especially when someone you love and trust completely breaks your heart.

Then I remembered watching the Sex and the City movie and it got me to having this topic swirling around in my head.

In the SATC movie, Carrie and Miranda are fighting because Miranda kept a horrible secret from Carrie. Miranda badgered her for forgiveness in one week. Carrie let her know that it was unfair to badger her for forgiveness after one week, when Miranda herself would not forgive Steve for something done six months ago. Miranda tried to say it was different circumstances, but all Carrie said was “No it’s not, it’s forgiveness.”

Forgiveness is exactly that. Forgiveness.

Where does forgiveness start though? Does it start with forgiving myself? Or forgiving others? I believe it starts with me. I believe I need to be able to forgive myself before I can forgive any transgression against me by others.

If I don’t know how to forgive myself, I’m not going to know how to forgive anyone else.

So on that note, for me to move on I have to forgive. And I do.

Just like one of my favorite quotes by Bob Marley, "Truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the one's worth suffering for."